Graduate development program
To support new and aspiring leaders in the public sector, the Commission offers the Graduate development program (the program).
Embracing a blended learning approach, the program combines formal modules, group work, agency site visits, guest presenters who are senior leaders in the sector and networking opportunities to complement induction or graduate programs delivered by agencies.
The program provides a whole-of-government perspective on the political, legislative and community-minded environment in which all public sector employees must operate. The curriculum fosters an appreciation of the complexity, importance and breadth of the work of the public sector in Western Australia.
It provides a public sector context for further experience and development of skills and knowledge, enabling a professional transition to public sector-wide employment.
Graduates will develop practical skills applicable to areas of government such as finance, policy development and federalism, balanced by opportunities to network with senior executives and fellow aspiring leaders from across the public sector.
The program is open to aspiring leaders who have recently completed tertiary studies and joined the public sector. Graduates must have:
- commenced employment within the Western Australian public sector within 12 months prior to the program commencing
- successfully completed an undergraduate (or post graduate) degree at a recognised university or education institution within the last two years
- the support of their employing agency to attend and participate in all aspects of the program.
The 2019 program fee was $615 (excl. GST) per participant. The fee covers all expenses including:
- a subsidy by the Public Sector Commission
- face-to-face delivery of all components by content experts and senior leaders from across the public sector
- materials and resources
- administrative costs associated.
Please note, the program is not a recruitment program and is for graduates currently employed in the public sector.
If you are seeking information about graduate employment programs, please visit the jobs.wa.gov website.
Agency enquiries about the program may be directed to the Program Manager, email email@example.com or phone (08) 6552 8519.
Page last updated 12 September 2019