Public Sector Management (PSM) Program
The Australian Public Service Commission, on behalf of the Public Sector Management (PSM) Program Board of Management, has appointed QUT to deliver the national Public Sector Management Program. The PSM Program is a flexible and dynamic study option catering specifically for mid-level managers in the modern Australian public service.
The program continues to make a significant impact on the Commonwealth, State and Local governments with a 20-year track record of success. From 2015, it will be delivered in all capital cities by a single national provider, QUT.
Offered to both public sector and non-government organisation (NGO) staff, the program has evolved to meet the changing needs of the public sector and NGOs. It provides an engaging and relevant curriculum, delivered through a unique blend of work-based learning, workshops and a virtual learning environment.
Why choose this course?
The program will develop your capacity to:
- understand and manage the business of government
- think systemically in an ambiguous and contestable world
- be accountable and be held to account
- become a reflective practitioner
- manage relationships for customer and business outcomes
- enable yourself and others for productivity and performance.
With a strong track record of success, the PSM Program has a number of significant benefits for you as a participant:
- earn a Graduate Certificate in Business (Public Sector Management)
- you may receive credit for some of the units you have completed for further study - see the Advanced standing section below for more information
- broaden your knowledge of the public sector
- enhance your management skills
- if you have a technical background, this program will assist you in your transition to management positions
- build strong professional networks and communities of practice beyond your current work environment.
Your employer will:
- gain immediate application of your learnings in the workplace (learn it today, use it tomorrow)
- reap the benefits of managers who can help steer organisations through uncertain and challenging times
- increase workforce flexibility with a common language and understanding of the business of government.
This course is for highly motivated public sector and NGO staff, for example:
- existing and new managers/supervisors and/or those managing complex sets of stakeholders
- senior managers who are new to the public service/ NGOs
- professionals in transition to management (e.g. teachers, lawyers or engineers who have assumed management responsibility)
- managers with cross-jurisdictional responsibilities or NGO managers who deliver government services.
Designed to maximise workplace learning, this national curriculum employs a blend of dynamic workshops, work-based projects, case studies and a virtual online learning environment offering participants access to QUT’s library database, PSM cohort Blackboard (online learning software), weblinks, videos and PDF e-books.
The four-unit course is delivered over 15 months and is focused around four intensive 3-4 day workshops, minimising disruption to the workplace. An Online Exception Program (OEP) is designed for those who have extenuating circumstances precluding them from attending the face-to-face workshops. The OEP is not available for individual catch-up on units. Participants in the OEP will engage in fully online self-directed learning supported by the Virtual Learning Environment, with the addition of one webinar per unit, and email and telephone support.
QUT delivers a holistic, theoretically rigorous and real-world focused program through an innovative work-based blended learning framework.
You will undertake a work-based project delivering real outcomes for your organisations.
For full information please visit the Queesland University of Technology information page or call 1800 145 041.
If you have any queries, please e-mail PSMProgram@psc.wa.gov.au or call (08) 6552 8965.
Page last updated 6 July 2016