On this page:

Who can report minor misconduct?

From 1 July 2015, a public officer or another person can report minor misconduct of a public officer (other than Police Force or Police Service staff) to the PSC.

Who is required to report minor misconduct?

Principal officers (generally CEOs of public authorities) are under an obligation to notify all reasonable suspicions of minor misconduct to PSC (section 45H of the Corruption, Crime and Misconduct Act 2003).

Can I make an anonymous report?

Yes, you can make an anonymous report and we will accept it. But it would be better to have your personal details as that allows us to check information with you. The action we may be able to take on an anonymous report might be limited. We also won't be able to tell you anything further about the report once it's made.

Do I have to fill out the minor misconduct report form?

The minor misconduct report form is a useful way to capture all the information we will need from you about the report you are making. The more information you can give us, the better. If we don't have enough information or the information is unclear, and you choose to identify yourself, we can contact you for clarification.

You can fill in the form electronically (which is our preferred way of receiving your report), or print it, fill it out and send it back to us. You can always add pages if you don't have enough room to describe your matter.

If you prefer to report verbally, we can arrange for you to speak with an officer from our Conduct and Standards team who can receive your report. Just tell our Advisory Service that you want to make a verbal report when you call.

Should I report to both the PSC and the CCC at the same time?

Suspected serious misconduct and any police misconduct should be reported to the CCC. Suspected minor misconduct should be reported to the PSC. We advise you not to report twice. Reporting to both agencies can cause unnecessary duplication and effort for everyone. The CCC and PSC have been given appropriate powers to transfer matters between them where appropriate.

To understand what matters the PSC may be able to deal with we suggest you read Fact sheet 1: What is minor misconduct and Fact sheet 4: I think it's misconduct. What should I do? If you still aren't sure who to report to, call our Advisory Service to discuss it before you make your report. 

I have made a complaint to another agency. Can I still report minor misconduct to the PSC?

Yes. PSC can accept reports even if they have been made to another agency. When you complete our minor misconduct report form, please tell us if you have made your complaint to another agency, when that was and what action they have taken. This will help us to assess the matter.

What if my report is about an MP, a judge or and elected member of a local government council?

Members of the WA Parliament (and Parliamentary clerks), members of the WA judiciary and local government councils (including Mayors and elected members) are outside of the PSC's minor misconduct jurisdiction. This means we can't look at matters that are about these public officers. 

How are the PSC and the CCC different in the management of misconduct?

The CCC is Western Australia's crime and corruption fighting body. It concentrates its investigative effort and resources to addressing serious misconduct, police misconduct and systemic crime and corruption risks in public authorities.

The PSC is focused on enhancing the integrity, effectiveness and efficiency of public administration and management. We are responsible for the oversight of minor misconduct of public officers (other than police misconduct). We also take the lead on misconduct prevention and education programs for public authorities.

Who else deals with integrity issues in Western Australia?

Other than the PSC, the State's integrity bodies include the Corruption and Crime Commission, the Office of the Auditor General, Ombudsman Western Australia and the Office of the Information Commissioner. 

Will the person I report be punished if they have done something wrong?

Where the CCC, PSC, or the employing authority find wrongdoing has occurred it is expected that some action will be taken. As the person reporting, you are not necessarily entitled to know what that action is because often it is a matter to be resolved between the employee and their employer. If the PSC decides to take no action, you are entitled to be notified of that decision by PSC.

What's the difference between notifications and reports?

Some terms are defined in the CCM Act, and others are not. The term ‘complaint' is not specifically defined so we use it in a general way to describe matters raised by a person or authority.

The terms ‘notification' and ‘report' are specifically defined in the CCM Act. A ‘notification' refers to an  allegation lodged by a public authority in accordance with its statutory obligation. The term ‘report' has two specific uses in the CCM Act. A ‘report' can be a misconduct allegation made by an individual but it can also be a matter, referred by a public authority, which would normally be subject to a notification obligation, but is allowed to be reported under the terms set out in guidelines.


Page last updated 28 September 2018