How do I make a disclosure?

To be protected under the PID Act you must make your disclosure to a proper authority.

There are a number of different proper authorities. One proper authority is the PID officer within the public authority where the wrongdoing has occurred. A proper authority may also be a particular authority specifically named in s.5(3) the PID Act to receive disclosures about particular types of information.

These include the Public Sector Commissioner., the Auditor General, the Corruption and Crime Commissioner and the Ombudsman. You can find out the main authorities that receive disclosures at Where can I make a disclosure?.

Before making a disclosure, you should contact the PID officer in the relevant authority, or the PSC, to find out more about:

Page last updated 27 September 2012