Aboriginal Traineeship Program
The Public Sector Commission is committed to increasing employment opportunities for Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander Australians, desiring to improve employment outcomes across public employment and building a diverse, talented and versatile Aboriginal workforce.
The Aboriginal Traineeship Program is an exciting employment-based training initiative that offers young Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, 24 years of age and under, entry level employment with an opportunity to develop public administration skills and competencies through a Government traineeship.
Aims of the program
Trainees will be employed by the Public Sector Commission and hosted in a WA State Government agency to complete a Government traineeship. The traineeship is for a period of 12 months (full time) which will enable trainees to develop skills in public administration and explore career pathways across the sector.
Participants within the program can look forward to:
- Gaining on-the-job experience and building a foundational knowledge in government that could lead to future employment in the sector;
- Working towards a nationally industry recognised qualification (Certificate III in Government), providing structured learning in combination with work;
- Support from the Public Sector Commission staff and allocated Aboriginal Mentors;
- Receiving income for the hours working during the traineeship; and
- Undertaking training to build valuable work and personal life skills and confidence.
The Public Sector Commission Aboriginal Mentors are committed to providing support to the trainees through the duration of the program, with workplace visits to provide mentorship and identifying opportunities for ongoing employment within the WA Public Sector.
Guide for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander trainees
The Aboriginal Traineeship Program - A guide for candidates provides trainees with an understanding of the Aboriginal Traineeship Program and their responsibilities as a trainee, and includes frequently asked questions.
Aboriginal Employment Unit
Phone: (08) 6552 8986 or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Page last updated 31 January 2018